Monday, September 6, 2010

Dambusters Triathlon Review


Image : http://www.flickr.com


It was the day I had ... waiting for the next day I was training. The winter months of training and would all amount to this race, the Dambusters.

be the Dambusters Triathlon, one of the best events pacemaker would be my first Olympic distance event. Not only that, it would qualify for the World Championships later this year in Hamburg, Germany. I wanted to qualify as evil? Bad enough to have written the date in my diary andensure that there is nothing happening in the two weeks before the event so that I could with my progress uninterrupted cone!

have dreamed Set in some of the most spectacular scenery in Leicestershire with the center, a reservoir in Rutland, I never even exhausting the challenge that lay before me.

Add On arrival at Rutland Water on Friday (22) me and my father, I always travel with me, all my events in a field near the lakePosition before leaving the course. We had the famous "ripple Rutland pulls' on the road to be driven in a punishing climb, which seemed always repeats itself when you thought they were more, my father of course always a rational attitude head reminded me that" For all is always down! ", A comment that I would maintain, if the edges of hills until the next day. The swim was a diamond, like the street, about 1500 5 buoys, fantastic! There is nothing worse for me as astraight out and back swim, it seems the same! On transition to discover that I had actually called me just part of the transaction with a set of transition small sticker, I felt like a professional had the same was not done for everyone else. Another feel great, good step taken! I would run the route and all the other potential qualifications around the lake and the dam where a range of types sprint back and forth along the road twice before they do again to the summitthe 10km. With all that was looking back to the tent laid out for some grub after!

A typical camp, groups of men / women would all be together normally expect to be through the howling most of the night. One thing that I absolutely love triathletes who seem strangely someone not used to this sport is that we all need our sleep, and we know it! At half past ten, and the camp was dead, the world, not even a whisper! Fair enough, in fact, if thefirst wave of swimmers was at 6:40! In fact, even if they are not in the first wave, it was still in the transitional phase at 06:00, get up at 5:00 for me for breakfast!

Oats and bananas, thats what I found works best for me last year or so. Still feeling full after a mountain of pasta the night before I was always small enough for breakfast. I decided to get in my first Trisuit because they are not prepared? I `m the kind of person who needsEverything is planned, probably due to the fact that I live my life time, to fit all the training in three sports. Besides this, I have a girlfriend, Rachel, the most understanding person in my life that has always to me with my sport, but I hate to take more time than necessary away. Accordingly, all timetables to make sure I do everything on time, if not for something or someone else, usually this means that the Tomorrow!

After racking up I applied the baby oil got into my wetsuit. It was 0630, so I headed toward the water.

The swim start for the Mass was brutal, I did not start at the front because I had not considered fast enough, there were 90 of us in the 18-24 category and I was among the group. After a couple of kicks made and distributed some I found a bit 'of space and swam parallel to another type that I keep track, because I recognized his OrcaDumb>. I think in general when I'm going to swim the time counting my shots for the length, in open water swimming there are no lengths ... that seemed to never end! 26 minutes to be exact, four minutes of my time swimming. I could not believe I had to qualify in the top four is, I was 50th out of the water!

After a very quick transition and a share jumped on my bike and .... There was a problem, I was more of a spinning washing .... my chain was gone. What are the odds thatmost important race of the year and dropped my chain! After the solution of the problem, I knew I had a lot of time was almost a case of head down and pedal. After 6 miles or so we did the Rutland Ripple tell us, because it was almost like a snake of traffic on the hill. This is where I found my time, I was used hills, I train on hills, so I decided to stay in the saddle and spin in the mountains. It hurt, says the expression on my face in the photos, butI managed a fair few cyclists, it is the second hill, half way my chain back .... I can not say the words out of my mouth to overtake! But it was successful, so I jumped down, slipped again and went ahead with the fight!

At 22.5 mph I had finished, and is so far behind in the transition I had a very fast time of 1 hour, 12 minutes for 26.6 miles. My legs felt good and I still had a number of places under consideration. Now I was on the run, I quickly ran off the bike,parallel with my father shouting advice. The title race is primarily, but also a little 'cross. The scenery of the lake is great if you wanted to take your mind off the race. I decided to run the first 2 km in 20 minutes 5k pace. I have less than 40 minutes to run so badly, I initially decided to 36min. I work a 17min 5 km and 10 km for 36min in a way would be. I understood immediately that it was not the speech. However, I stuck with my plan for 2km and then cooled for a while 'for the next 4 km. Running back and forth over the dam has meant that I could see how the opposition in the opposite direction. They were fast, some take GB Tri-Suit, what should I try? Qualified against these guys ... anything was possible. I tried to run the last 4 km hard, but I was too far back. I finished the course in 40min 30secs. Not fast enough, but once again personal record of over 10 km.

I finished 17th in my age group and therefore do not qualify for the World Cup. Disappointed ... yesBut, coming back from 50 ° to 17 is something I am personally proud. I have the Wakefield Triathlon in a few weeks to get a return last year. Although this is the age group national championships as well and as the race will not be easy. I just hope that as there are 8 places per age group Qualifiers will have more chance of a place!

No comments:

Post a Comment